Living Education is a biannual online magazine owned and operated by Oak Meadow. Oak Meadow invites readers, parents, and educators to submit articles and essays on topics related to our upcoming issue’s theme.
Submissions from homeschooling and homeschool-minded parents, educators, administrators, and students are welcome. Please view past issues of Living Education to get a feel for our audience and content. We are especially interested in articles that highlight unique and innovative paths that the educational journey can take. ~DeeDee Hughes, Managing Editor
Fall issue: May 15
Spring issue: November 15
Spring 2024 theme:
Traditions, Old and New
One of the loveliest parts of parenting is introducing your children to traditions you grew up with. Taking children to your favorite childhood place or hearing them sing a song you sang as a child gives a delicious sense of continuity. Many families create new traditions as well, initiating a ritual or event that their children can carry forth into future generations. Whether it is sharing a favorite family recipe, having a bonfire on the winter solstice, teaching your kids to fish using a grandparent’s “lucky” lure or going on an annual Mother’s Day hike, traditions are a way to give families a sense of connection with one another and their heritage.
Whether your traditions are beloved ones handed down by your family and friends or new ones you created to mark milestones, celebrate holidays, or spend time together, we want to hear about them! What do you do? Why do you do it? How did the tradition originate? Why are traditions important in your family?
The next issue of Living Education will celebrate family traditions, large and small. We’re eager to hear how families create a sense of continuity and connection. What traditions do you look forward to?
Length: varying, up to approximately 1,000 words
Payment: varying, up to $75 per original piece
Please send submissions, proposals, and questions to DeeDee Hughes, firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms & Conditions
By submitting your article, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
- You guarantee that you are the sole author of all content within your article or essay, or can provide written proof that contributing authors also grant permission for use according to these terms.
- If your article is published, you grant Oak Meadow and Living Education Magazine the right to use and distribute it in any manner and in all media. In addition, you grant Oak Meadow the right to use excerpts from your writing for the marketing and promotion of Living Education. Wherever possible, Oak Meadow will credit you as the author.
- We can accept pieces that have previously been published online or in print, provided that another publication does not hold exclusive rights to it.
- By submitting your article or essay, you waive any privacy expectations you may have with regards to your submission. Do not include any private information in your piece that you do not want shared publicly.
- You understand that Oak Meadow will select submissions at their sole discretion and are under no obligation to publish your submission. We cannot always reply to each and every submission. We will do our best to notify you if your piece is selected for publication.
- You agree to indemnify and hold Oak Meadow harmless from and against any third-party claims alleging that your submission violates their rights.
If you need to withdraw your piece from our consideration, please let us know immediately.