We are here to help!
Parents naturally have questions as they explore educational options. With so many choices available and so many different reasons to homeschool, it can be challenging to determine what will be the right fit for your child and where, exactly, to start. Families have been turning to Oak Meadow for information, guidance, and resources for decades, so we’ve gathered the most frequently asked questions and put the answers at your fingertips.
Curriculum and Grade Placement
Enrollment and Distance Learning
If you are not sure which form you need, please contact us.
For enrolled students
- FERPA Consent
- Release of Records
- Request a transcript
- Physical Education Credit
- Life Experience Credit (LEC) Application
- Advanced Study Project (ASP) Application
- Academic planning worksheet
Important curriculum resources
- Sample lessons: Download our robust curriculum samples, and try them out with your student.
- Getting Started Homeschooling Guide: New to homeschooling? This guide offers quick tips to help you get started and be successful.
- Curriculum Links: Online resources that accompany and supplement our book-based curriculum.
- Course Catalog: Get a concise overview of Oak Meadow as well as information about what’s covered in each grade. This catalog also includes descriptions for all our high school courses.
- Curriculum Updates: An outline of the changes and revisions that have been made to the Oak Meadow curriculum.
- Homeschool Requirements by State: Links to each state’s department of education. Here, you can find information about your state’s homeschooling requirements and regulations.
- Curriculum Reviews: Learn more about Oak Meadow by reading reviews from real homeschool families.
- K-12 Scope and Sequence: This document outlines the key concepts covered in each grade.
- Common Core Alignment Overviews: Here, you can see where Oak Meadow is not aligned with Common Core and where you need to supplement.
- Effectively Assessing Your Student’s Work (PDF)
- Academic Planning Worksheet for high school (PDF)
- How to use Main Lesson Books: Students in the younger grades complete their schoolwork in main lesson books, rather than workbooks. Learn more about main lesson books and how to successfully incorporate them into your homeschooling.
Oak Meadow support programs for home teachers
- Homeschool Support/Hourly: A fee-based consultation service for both new and veteran homeschoolers who use our curriculum independently.
- Portfolio Evaluation Program for K-4: For families who would like support creating a homeschool portfolio from an Oak Meadow teacher without enrollment.
- Tutoring and Coaching Services: Several Oak Meadow teachers offer private tutoring to assist students with specific subject areas, executive function skills, or learning challenges.
- Learning Assessments Packets (K-8): Grade-specific learning assessments are designed to help parents and teachers track student learning for support and reporting purposes. These assessments are incorporated into our coursebooks.
- Foundations in Independent Learning: An online parent-teacher certification course for those new to teaching at home or new to Oak Meadow.
- Foundations in Social Justice: This online course helps parents and teachers bring social justice principles and action into their communities and classrooms.
Oak Meadow articles, newsletters, and journals
- Oak Meadow blog posts: supportive articles and resources on common homeschooling topics
- Living Education: Oak Meadow’s free biannual educational magazine
- Oak Meadow newsletters: Grade-level topics, published monthly
Organization and preparation:
- Study Skills Toolkit (PDF)
- Time Management Tips for Students (PDF)
- Creating an Effective Learning Environment (PDF)
- Guidelines for Home Teachers
- Rhythms, Routines, and Rituals and Homeschool Rhythms
- Organizing Your Homeschool Day and Organizational Tips from a Homeschool Parent (PDF)
- Using a Weekly Planner to Find the Rhythm in Your Homeschooling Life
Common homeschooling topics
- What About Socialization? and The Socialization Myth (PDF)
- Challenging the Advanced Student (PDF)
- Homeschooling with Large Families (PDF) and Homeschooling Multiple Children
- Addressing Concerns about Homeschooling
- Finding Community as a Homeschooler
Take a deep breath: You can do it!
- Yes, You Can!
- “Three Things I Do to Make Me a Calm Mom”
- 10 Ways to Create and Maintain Balance as a Homeschooling Parent
- “What I Wished I’d Known Before Two Decades of Homeschooling”
- 10 Reasons Why Oak Meadow May Be the Perfect Fit for You
The Heart of Oak Meadow
- What makes Oak Meadow different? 12 characteristics that define the heart, soul, and pedagogy of the Oak Meadow curriculum.
- Oak Meadow and Waldorf
- The Heart of Learning, by Lawrence Williams: “A beautiful book to read. The most valuable resource I have for understanding and enjoying my time with my children.” ~ OM parent
Curriculum reviews and articles
Please note: Some materials may have been updated since a review was posted, but our curriculum scope and sequence remain the same. Visit our grade web pages or our bookstore for current information.
- Youtube – OM Curriculum Reviews & Overviews – Playlist
- Oak Meadow Curriculum Review
- Flexible, Student-Centered Homeschool Curriculum from Oak Meadow
- Oak Meadow: Overall Review
- Distance Learning with Oak Meadow
- Green Child Talks with Oak Meadow Homeschoolers: The Kluver Family
- Green Child Talks with Oak Meadow Homeschoolers: The Doughty Family
- A Few of My Favorite Things – Review of Homeschooling Resources
- Cathy Duffy – Preschool Review
- Homeschool.com – Preschool Review
- Oak Meadow Preschool: Homeschooling centered around nature and play
- Preschool: Learning with the Head, Heart, and Hands
- Oak Meadow Kindergarten Review
- Our Grade 1 Homeschool Year at-a-Glance
- Oak Meadow Curriculum Review: 1st Grade (video)
- Oak Meadow Homeschooling Second Grade Review
- A Week in the Life of Oak Meadow Third Grade
- Oak Meadow 4th Grade Review
- The Heart of Learning
- Healthy Living from the Start (K-3)
- Learning to Read with Word Families
- Middle Schoolers and Independence in Learning with Oak Meadow
- Oak Meadow Grade 5 Review
- Oak Meadow Grade 6 Review
- Oak Meadow Review: A Complete Curriculum (Grade 6)
- Oak Meadow Grade 7 Review
- Oak Meadow Grade 8 Box Day
- Oak Meadow Grade 8 Overview
- Oak Meadow Grade 8 A Week in the Life
- Oak Meadow Middle School English
- Oak Meadow Grade 8 Civics